Thursday, April 03, 2008

cupcake time

My brother and my niece visited us for a week and a half. I thought it would be fun to bake something with my niece, so I asked her if she'd like to make cookies or cupcakes. She chose cupcakes. I asked her what kind of cupcake and frosting, and she chose chocolate cake with vanilla frosting. We used this cupcake recipe, but left out the filling and left the mint out of the frosting (and also halved it). I also used vanilla paste instead of mint extract in the frosting, and made it purple.


Putting the melted chocolate under the mixer


Emma adds the sugar


Emma cracks her first egg

I showed her how to crack the first one, then helped her crack the second egg. After she cracked the egg, she freaked out a little - she got some on her hand, it was cold and slimy, and she didn't really know what to do. She asked to not crack anymore eggs, so I did the others and we washed our hands.


"Just turn it off, okay?"

Even though she was okay with the mixer when we added the sugar, after the trauma of the egg cracking, she decided she didn't really like it anymore. Also, I look kind of evil. Maybe that was traumatizing too.


The best part of baking


Mmm, beater


Emma was very serious about adding sprinkles

I frosted the cupcakes (it was late, I just used a knife...no pretty swirls this time), then Emma decorated them.







Emma licked all the frosting off first, then ate the cake.



She did the same thing with this cupcake the next day. I think she inherited her sweet tooth from her aunt.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

A) I'm jealous of your Kitchenaid mixer.

B) Your belly is so cute!

C) Make me some friggin cupcakes already!!

Gail said...

about the next to last picture....
Yes, Laurel (and Emma) you definitely married into the right family.
My kind of tasty delight - a yummy cupcake with sprinkles following 2 boxes of Girl Scout cookies (with an apple thrown in for that "healthy" look)