Friday, January 25, 2008

baking

I got a KitchenAid Mixer for Christmas (from my fabulous mommy). As a result, I've been baking more than I used to. (I used to have my mom's old Mixmaster that she got from her first wedding...about 32 years ago - it shook and rattled, and if I used it too much, it smoked.) I decided that baking falls into the realm of this blog, so I will put pictures of things I bake in here, starting with some cupcakes I made last week. I'll put the cupcakes I made last night up a little later. (This was also in my myspace blog, but my myspace is private...so I'm putting it here too.)

I made cupcakes to take to an MSTP party. The cupcakes were vanilla with cherry filling and a meringue frosting. I don't have any pictures of the rest of the cupcake making process because it wasn't very interesting, but we documented the frosting completion.


These are the cupcakes after frosting, before torching. The recipe said to "use your finger to make the frosting look interesting."


As you can see, I'm very excited. Also, you can see our lovely orangey-gold countertop. The retro-70s look is in, right?


Here I am, setting the first cupcake on fire. Also, I kind of look like a linebacker. I blame the baby.


Torching up close.



I feel that the torch will become useful on marshmallows in the future. I have a recipe for smores cupcakes that I've been dying to try, this would be awesome for the frosting.


Torches are a good way to involve your husband with baking. He enjoyed setting cupcakes on fire as much as I did.


Lorne torches a cupcake while some finished cupcakes look on.

I really enjoyed using the kitchen torch. Way more than I probably should have. The torch also came with some little creme brulee dishes, so perhaps I'll make that soon. And also the smores cupcakes. I'm going to get really fat....but at least I can use the baby as an excuse until June.

No comments: